Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sunday Night Special

Okay, so I'm a few days late with this post, but I've been just plain exhausted by the evening time (when I have James-free computer time.) Anyway....

Usually on Sundays, I like to try a new recipe or just spend more time than usual on dinner. I belong to a local, organic co-0p called Purple Carrot. Twice a month, I pick up a HUGE basket full of veggies and fruits. This week's basket included a very large portion of Rainbow Chard. While I've read the great benefits of eating chard, I had no idea what to do with it. Luckily, there was a recipe note on the band that wrapped around the chard, so here goes.....
Rainbow Chard Chicken
4 cups green or rainbow chard
1 cup onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 oz. chicken breast, cubed
2 Tbsp. water
1 cup rice, cooked
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
cooking spray


Preheat broiler. Cut stems off chard leaves and dice. Cut leaves into 1/2 '' strips. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Cook chard stems, onion, garlic and chicken over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Add leaves and 2 Tbsp. water, cook another 3 minutes until chard is limp. Add soy sauce and rice and cook another 2 minutes. To serve, divide mixture between two oven-proof plates and sprinkle cheese evenly on top. Place under broiler for two minutes. Serves 2. Enjoy!
(chicken cooking with stems and garlic)

(chard leaves just added to skillet)

(the finished product)

No comments:

Post a Comment