Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's Official...

Yep, I have officially registered for the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C.
The race (26.2 miles) isn't until late October and I don't have to start training until May, but I am SO excited about this new venture! I was really disappointed when I was unable to run the Gasparilla marathon due to IT band issues in both knees. I'm proud to say that the injury is completely healed now (it just needed time). I learned a humbling and valuable lesson about cross-training and not being a weekend-warrior (someone who doesn't run much during the week and then runs LONG on the weekend.) However, it will be challenging to fit a full-time teaching job (not just a day job!), being mommy to the best little sunshine around and finding time to train. But, I know it can be done.
One thing about me- I LOVE setting goals and new challenges. I truly am not happy unless I'm working towards some long-term goal. And, working towards a goal that makes me feel strong, healthy and lookin' okay in a bikini isn't too bad!
I am fortunate enough to have found great friends who also are great athletes/runners who keep me motivated and inspired to achieve these goals. My goals would truly not be attainable without them.
So, it would only seem fitting that I want to share my experiences with others. This is where my friend, Stacy, comes in.
Stacy and I "met" in the world of mom-bloggers. I came across her mom-blog and immediately became drawn to her Working Mom blog. Then, I realized that we actually went to the same college and graduated the same year! It wasn't until 10 years later, marriage and kids that we really connected and found that we share the same passions- running/healthy living/personal fitness. Anyway, I shared my enthusiasm for marathons with her and now THIS has happened! I can't wait to finally meet her in October!
I love being a good influence on people (although it may seem crazy to most of the world's population, ie my Mother!)

1 comment:

  1. My mom thinks I am crazy too. Its all good. At least this time she did not tell me I am too old. That just hurts!

    ReplyDelete