Monday, September 17, 2007

Two Month Vaccinations


Today we went to the doctor's office for James' two month vaccinations. After hearing how traumatic it was for other new mom's I've talked to, I was pretty anxious, since Will refused to come with us. (He is still traumatized from watching the circumcision!) Following the advice of several of the women, I gave James a small dose of Tylenol before we got there. After waiting for 50 minutes to see the doctor, I reluctantly followed the nurse back to the exam room. Once the pediatrician gave him the "healthy baby" stamp of approval, the nurse came in with the dreaded needles full of vaccines. I was determined NOT to cry no matter how bad things got. How can I comfort my screaming, crying baby if I'm a wreck myself? But, I had to take a big breath and remind myself of that when the nurse smiled and said, "It's time." She pinned his legs down with her stomach to stabilize him during the shots (two in each leg!) She remarked how strong he was and I agreed! He quietly took the first shot and then I guess the pain set in. She quickly administered the other three, bandaged him up and stepped away so I could pick him up to comfort him. He was screaming at this point, but it didn't last long at all. I picked him up and did the comforting "mommy-shake" and he stopped crying! He cried a total of maybe thirty seconds! I think the nurse and I both were shocked. I thanked the nurse for her quick and painless shot techniques and then congratulated my little boy for "taking it like a man!"
He passed out in the car on the way home, woke up a little while ago to eat and then went back down for another nap (as you can see by the picture!) So, the two month shot "ordeal" was a bunch of hype for nothing. My little man is tough I tell ya!
Here are his stats:
Weight: 13 lbs 14 oz - 90%
Height: 23 1/2 inches -75%
Head Circumference: 15 3/4 -50% (I asked about this and the doctor said not to worry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment