Thursday, April 14, 2011

Conversations with James

It is very hard (for me anyway) to believe that my baby is almost FOUR years old. I mean, seriously, when did I become the parent of a four year old? But, I digress...
Lately, my little socialite/conversationalist has taken our conversations to new heights.
Yes, he has introduced that little, three letter word that every parent dreads- W-H-Y?
I don't know what I was thinking or WHY I thought we would skip this phase of Life, but it completely caught me unguarded. And overnight (it seemed) every sentence, utterance and conversation would be saturated with the word/question/demand "why?"
We read to him every night. Sure enough, after EVERY page of EVERY book, "Why mommy?" And most of the times, no matter how many times I answer him. He always comes back with "Why?"
Therefore, I have been forced to institute the go-to-ever-popular-mommy-phrase "Because I said so."
Scenario- Driving home from school
James: "Mommy, fish can't talk."
Me: "You are right James. Fish can't talk."
James: "Why?"
Me: "Because they live underwater."
James: "Why?"
Me: "Because that's where they live."
James: "Why?"
Me: "Because that's where their home is"
James: "Why?"
Me: "Because they have gills instead of lungs. They don't have vocal chords to produce sounds like we have because we are humans and they are fish."
James: "Why?"
Me: "Because I SAID SO!"
James: "Oh, Okay Mommy."


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the joys of motherhood - reading your blog I can almost hear your voice - oh how I think about those wonderful days and the laughing and giggling coming from the back bedroom - you were a very important part of my life and I thank God that He has placed you back in my life. James looks alot like you - I do hope to get to meet him one day. Gale

    ReplyDelete